April 27, 2012 § 6 Comments
I have no idea what to call these cookie bars. This wasn’t going to be a recipe post (hate doing two food posts in a row, sorry) but I made these yesterday and people wanted the recipe, so here it is! The result is a barely sweet oatmeal cookie-like base with yummy chunks of dried fruit and chocolate.
Vegan Gluten-Free* Trail Mix** Cookie Bars
adapted from Mama Pea’s Vegan Almond Joy Cookie Bars
makes 18 or 24 bars, depending on how big you cut😉
- 2 c. oat flour (or gluten-free flour mix of choice)
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. oats
- 1 c. dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. + 2 T. sugar
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. plain soymilk (or vegan milk of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil, spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour through chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until combined. If mixture is too dry, add a splash more soymilk. Dough will be VERY thick and sticky.
- Spread dough into bottom of pan and bake for 25 minutes, until set and golden brown around edges.
- Let cool before cutting into bars.*I understand oats are not always gluten-free. If you don’t eat oats or certified gluten-free oats are too expensive, replace with extra flour. I haven’t done this (and have made these a lot), but given the oats help with the thick consistency of the dough, I feel like it needs to be replaced instead of simply omitted. If you try this, let me know how it works.
** I call them Trail Mix cookie bars because the mix-ins are really variable. The original calls for almonds instead of dried cranberries. You could probably add both, or other dried fruits, or all chocolate, or – you get the idea. Have fun with the mix-ins. Truth be told, I almost always mix in more than 1 c. of each, even if it’s just a couple tablespoons extra. I want to really taste the mix-ins.😉